Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ghee or Clarified Butter

Ghee or clarified butter is versatile oil with a high flash point. This means it doesn't burn easily and will take much longer to smoke. Cooking with ghee ensure that the structure of the oil remains unchanged during the cooking process, allowing a healthier outcome.

Ghee is very easy to make out of butter. You can also but them at shops, but I find making them so easy and cheap that I make my own every weekend. I use it in all my cooking as well as for my breakfast smoothie. According to Ayurveda, an ancient Indian medicine, ghee is known to have numerous health benefits. Regardless, the flavour is just awesome!

Ingredients
500g Unsalted Butter

Method

  1. Place the butter in a large enough saucepan so that the oil does not spill once melted.
  2. Heat the butter slowly until melted on low heat (make sure you don't rush this, otherwise the butter will burn).
  3. Leave the butter on pan for at least 30 minutes. 
  4. Skim the foam that collect at the top after 15 minutes. I tent to do this a little more because I am obsessive.
  5. When there are no more foam forming, and n white creaming milk in the bottom of the pan, the ghee is done.
Melting the butter

Slow boil

Foam starting to form

Lots of foam. Skim it

Ghee beginning to form
A good batch of ghee


No comments:

Post a Comment