Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Day 2: Now I am Rolling

Summary
Did I ever mention that waking up in the morning is hard??? The alarm rang and I swear I could have just slept through he noisy buzz if not for my wife giving me a gentle nudge!

Once I was up and moving, I certainly felt more energised. Could it be the ultra-low carb diet I am on is giving me the boost of energy since my body is now burning fat? I don't really know. I also decided to include a short session of meditation this morning. Recent research has indicated that mediation helps keep the mind calm and allows it to focus better. I feel that if I am to run for more than 15 hours (yup that's how long I expect, anything less will be a bonus!) I will need to keep my brain calm and focused.

I am also running barefoot. The feet apparently is made up of the highest number of bones and ligaments in the entire body, and by running barefoot, I will be training the elasticity of these tissues (i.e. the ligaments) and enable them to act like miniature springs. This will allow me to run with greater running efficiency.

Running barefoot was not entirely easy, but given that I am running at a very low speed (training using the Maffetone method), it was doable.

Exercise
Morning 
Walk (warm-up and cool down)  - 30 minutes
Run - 30 minutes

Evening
Since it is summer here in Australia, I decided to take my son to the park and play with a frisbee. Just trying to be as active as possible and maximise my use of the extra sunshine hours!

Diet
Breakfast - Karl's Energy Boosting Smoothie 
Lunch - Met up with a friend for lunch. Had "Make my own salad" consisting of spinach leaves, avocado, cheese and egg, with olive oil as dressing.
Dinner - Cooked Chicken pieces (approx 100g) and lettuce leaves with feta cheese
Desert - Mouth Watering Coconut Ice-Cream (low carb!)

I also had a couple of cups of decaf coffee with cream (appox 2-3 teaspoons per cup)

Weight & Body Fat
86.4 kgs
26.4 % Body fat
Amazingly, I appear to have lost more than a kg since I last weighed myself. I assume that the difference is due to the timing of when I took the measurement, the former after dinner and the latter upon rising this morning. Will check tomorrow.

Books I Am Reading
Big Book of Endurance  by Dr.Phil Maffetone

No comments:

Post a Comment