Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 9: First positive reading

Summary
As mentioned in my initial post, I am on a ketogenic diet, which means that I consume very low carbs, enough protein to sustain my fat, and high-fat. The purpose of this is to allow my body to produce ketone bodies, which like sugar (or glucose) is used by the brain as fuel. The good news of this is the liver produces ketones using fat and as we know, I have plenty of that! Whilst at first read this may seem crazy to adopt such a diet, but as a diabetic, there has been numerous studies demonstrating the positive effects of such a diet.

Today, I tested my blood ketone levels and discovered that I am demonstrating a positive concentration of ketone bodies. It is only at 0.9 mmol/L, on the lowish end of the range I want which is 1 to 3 mmol/L. However, it is a positive sign that the diet is working and with the gradual weight loss, I am totally encouraged.

Another thing I have started is taking a unique supplement called Alpha Lipoic Acid. It's meant to be an insulin mimetic, which means that it acts as insulin, sensitising cells to uptake glucose, but does not have the same effects on fat cells. I don't purport to be a scientist or attempt to describe it here, but the limited research I have been reading indicate positive results. It is the best anti-oxidant around, and as I increase my exercise load, I am going to need it. But for now, I am just using it to ensure a lower glucose level in my blood stream whilst allowing my body to remain in a ketogenic state.

Exercise
Run - 1 hour

Diet
Lunch - Nothing
Dinner -Ate out to celebrate my wife's birthday and she choose Indian. Still low-carbs, but I am not sure what they put in the curries :-(


Weight & Body Fat
86 kg and 26% body fat


Supplements
600 mg R-ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid)
1,200 mg Curcumin (I use the brand "Now Foods")
1,500 mg Ginger (same brand as above)
10g Fish oil (I buy a high concentrated fish oil)


No comments:

Post a Comment